Search This Blog

Monday 8 August 2011

Austria

I have recently returned from a week’s stay in the beautiful village of Niederau within the Wildschonau Valley in the Tyrolean area of Austria. Now I could spend all evening writing about the wonderful scenery, the great hospitality and the marvellous paragliding flight, or the amusing tale of me getting lost in a woodland in the early hours of the morning. What I really want to tell you about, however, are the three fabulous plants I found on my travels. I must mention these plants as I was most excited and surprised to discover them while walking thought the mountains. All three are carnivorous: two sundews and a butterwort, which many of you will know are one of my passions.


Drosera rotundifolia

Drosera rotundifolia
Although I have found D. rotundifolia growing in the UK in bog land i have never seen it growing on such mass
Drosera intermedia

Drosera intermedia

Pinguicula alpina

Pinguicula alpina growing in the  moist tyre tracks of a forestry trail

http://www.thecps.org.uk/
There were many more plant we came across and from time to time I will try to add some of these great plants to the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment